What is a Union?
A union is an organization of workers formed to represent and protect members' interests in respect to wages, benefits, job security and working conditions. The basic idea of a union is to create a stronger voice in the workplace. In other words, the Union speaks with one voice on behalf of all of its members to protect and expand workers’ rights because one person standing alone may be vulnerable, but when all of us are joined together, we have an unbreakable strength.
2.      Why is a Union important?
One major role of a labor union is to organize and unite workers in order to negotiate collective bargaining agreements with management. Usually, pay and benefits are better for union members with a collective bargaining agreement. Unions also help to set principles and values for wages, working conditions, and skill level as well as create laws which improve job conditions for their members through legislation at the national, state and local level.
3.      What does Union Membership pay for?
As a not-for-profit, Union membership does cover the costs of operating the Union, including the office rent we pay and the salaries of union staff, but Union membership also covers: attorneys’ fees for representing the union in litigation against employers and on your behalf, costs associated with negotiating your contract, handling grievances, arbitrations and costs associated with organizing workers, etc. Membership does not pay any part of your Medical coverage.
4.      How can I obtain information about my Health Benefits?
You can obtain information about you health coverage by calling the Fund’s Office at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1776, or by contacting your Fund Service Representative at Extension 1775. There is also information available on the Bulletin Boards at your work site, as well as on our website, or on your “My Local 338” Member Portal.
5.      What is the Member Assistance Program (MAP)?
The Local 338 MAP is designed to support our members who may be struggling with problems affecting their personal life in order to help them achieve a better quality of life. We all face personal issues, and sometimes they can be overwhelming. Whether it is mental health or substance abuse referrals or emergency housing assistance, MAP helps you navigate through the process of receiving help, and it is strictly confidential. For information about the Member Assistance Program or Prescription Assistance, please see the Member Assistance Program section of our website by clicking here.
6.      Who is my Union Representative? And how can I get in contact with him/her?
You can call our Call Center at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1775. They will be able to tell you who your Union Representative is as well as connect you to them for further assistance.
7.      How can I get involved in the union?
The first way you can get involved is by attending the Local 338 Membership Meetings (please click here for more information about our next meeting). We also have various events including rallies and lobby days, many of which we look for volunteers! Please feel free to contact the Special Projects Department at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1274 for more information on how you can get involved.
8.      I have a question about a medical claim. Who do I speak to?
Any questions about claims should be directed to one of the representatives in the Medical Claims Call Center at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1776.
9.  How do I get information about my optical and dental benefits?
As a participant in the Local 338 Benefits Fund, you qualify for optical and dental benefits. For information on your eligibility please contact Damisi Akinkuowo at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1324. 
FORMER 305 MEMBERS: For all requests for Optical, Dental, Podiatry, Chiropractor and Annual Physical Vouchers please contact the Fund's Office's Administrative Services Department at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1223.
10.  Who do I speak to about my retirement benefits?
For answers to specific Pension questions, please contact Andrew Vella in our Pension Department at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1305. Active members can also find more information by logging in to your “My Local 338” Member Portal.

11How do I get information about my prescription benefits?
If you are a participant in a Local 338 prescription plan, and need information about your eligibility or your plan, you can call the Fund Office's Prescription Department at (516) 294-1338 Extension 1223. 


LOCAL 338 RWDSU/UFCW  •  1505 Kellum Place  •  Mineola, New York 11501
Main Office (516) 294-1338  •  Union Call Center (516) 294-1338 ext. 1775  •  Medical Call Center (516) 294-1338 ext. 1776
This site is designed to be best viewed using Internet Explorer 7 or newer.